Offering Pro Bono Assistance to Georgia and South Carolina Inventors
Frequently Asked Questions
- Participate in Patent training*
- Conduct a prior art search
- Apply through our website (if you applied through the National Clearinghouse, we will ask you to re-apply)
- Conduct an in-office or telephonic intake with GLA’s Patent Administrator to demonstrate qualification for the program
- If approved for the program, pay the appropriate administrative fee.
- Wait for a match with a volunteer Patent Agent/Attorney
- Work with your volunteer Agent/Attorney through the patent prosecution process, including payment of appropriate USPTO fees.
Specific information is available on each of these steps. *See below for information about training.
- $50 for solo inventors
- $100 for inventors with an obligation to assign to a non-profit
- $150 “small businesses”
Remember that inventors remain responsible for paying the applicable patent filing fees, and possibly other necessary costs associated with filing.
Depending on the state of your application, we may put your case on hold (either pre or post intake meeting) to give you time to further reduce to practice, supplement a prior art search, or provide other relevant documents or information.
Post intake, we make every effort to place cases within a month, though placement depends on a wide variety of factors, and we cannot guarantee your case will be assigned that quickly. If we cannot find an attorney after 120 days, we will direct you to file pro se and close the case – though this is an extraordinarily rare situation.
At this time, our program is unable to accept applicants who have an upcoming provisional or disclosure deadline 60 days or less from the date of intake.
Founding Partners ($5,000 commitment for 5 years)
Alston & Bird
IP Section of the Georgia Bar
IP Section of the Atlanta Bar
Founding Benefactors ($3,000 commitment for 5 years)
Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
Smith, Gambrell & Russell
Founding Supporters ($1,500 commitment for 5 years)
Meunier Carlin & Curfman
Pabst Patent Group LLP
Sutherland Asbill & Brennan
taylor | english
with additional assistance by
Gardner Groff Greenwald & Villanueva, PC
Technology Section of the Georgia Bar